Speaker Sign Up
What is SpeaknSpark?
SpeaknSpark is an inclusive speaker bureau of Emergency Management Speakers, Experts, Trainers, and Consultants. We make it easy for Event Leaders to connect with Speakers, Trainers, Experts, and Consultants. We believe centralizing one resource to source Emergency Management related expertise supports cross-discipline collaboration, catalyzes public engagement, fosters diversity and innovation and overall enhances the field.
We support and benefit professionals with Emergency Management knowledge, Event Leaders, and communities. Unlike traditional speakers bureaus, there are no listing and no account fees- we've removed barriers in order to grow into the corner platform that encourage and foster learning.
- Speakers and Experts create a profile that highlights their best practices, innovation, case studies, and knowledge.
- Event Leaders searching the site get direct access, more background information, reviews, and more choice for their speaker selection.
- As a resource, SpeaknSpark creates an accessible catalog of expertise, strengths relationship building, opens communication, and builds resilience.
Do I need to be a professional Speaker?
This is most frequently asked question. No, you do not need to be a professional Speaker - you need to have experience or knowledge and a willingness to share. Different than traditional speakers bureaus, SpeaknSpark welcomes elite, startup, and working professionals who have knowledge to share. You do not need to be the top Expert in order to have knowledge worthy of sharing; SpeaknSpark’s goal is to increase public engagement at all levels- neighborhood, city, county, region, state, and national. Having all levels of Experts on one platform strengthens the resource across the entire Emergency Management field.
If I am not directly in the Emergency Management field, should I still join as a Speaker?
Yes! SpeaknSpark was created to increase access, build connections, and encourage collaboration. If any aspect of your experience or career is related to an aspect of Emergency Management, you are encouraged to join. Joining means increased exposure and opportunity for sharing your message. Examples:
- Psychology: PTSD awareness and techniques, long term effects of traumatic events, and best practices for creating a safe space to heal as a community
- Law: regulatory compliance, early warning, financing, community empowerment, and accountability
- Business: True business resiliency, emergency mass notification software, workplace violence, continuity
- Community Organization: Vulnerable populations, climate resiliency, diversity and inclusion
- Utility: Response plan, Public Power Mutual Aid Network
I don’t charge a Speaker fee because it's part of my job. So why should I join?
You should join because SpeaknSpark is a platform for ALL Emergency Management Speakers whether you are a Consultant, a working professional, or sharing innovations as personal EM passion. Charging a Speaker fee is not required. When creating a profile, simply select the “willing to waive fees” checkbox and set the minimum and maximum speaker fee to $0. If outreach is your goal, SpeaknSpark is a powerful new tool for you and your organization to reach broader audiences. SpeaknSpark is going to innovate and benefit the EM field with more choices and more access. Help us build this powerful and innovative resource. The larger the platform grows, the more robust a resource it will become for the Emergency Management field.
I am undecided about speaking- I am pretty busy. Should I still create a profile?
You have complete autonomy to select which events interest you. After creating an account and then a profile, you will be ready to start receiving Event Requests which include detailed event information. Based on your schedule, interest, and comfort, you are empowered to decline or accept. SpeaknSpark keeps the open a door for new opportunities.
Ok, I love this idea but how does the money part work? Is it going to cost me?
We know this is an important question and SpeaknSpark strives for transparency. Creating an account, creating a profile, receiving Event Requests, and replying have no associated fees. When you are booked for an event, SpeaknSpark follows the standard service fee model for marketplaces.
Traditional Speakers Bureaus charge usually 30-50% of a Speaker’s event rate. SpeaknSpark charges a 12% service fee. The service fee includes access to the payment platform and a customized speaker feedback report (analyzed by audience demographics. Example
). The earlier a speaker joins SpeaknSpark and the more often a Speaker is booked, the higher their profile ranks in search results.
I am currently a Consultant, Trainer, and/or professional Speaker. Why should I join?
Join because SpeaknSpark is transforming the way Event Leaders search and book Emergency Management Experts, Speakers, Trainers, and Consultants. The SpeaknSpark vision is:
- Expanded connections for EM Experts, Speakers, and Trainers to Event Leaders and events
- Increased access and cooperation across EM disciplines
- A centralized location of EM Experts that is publicly accessible
- Enhanced feedback tool to support insight and growth for Speakers in the EM community
- Increased professional exposure for Emergency Management Speakers
- Fostering diversity and inclusion
- Expanded training to broader audience base
- Kickstarting sharing innovations and unheard ideas
SpeaknSpark’s vision is collaborative progress. Join now as a founding member and your input will shape the development of this movement
How do I become a verified Speaker or a SpeaknSpark Speaker?
All speakers join as a community speaker. To become a verified Speaker, there is a standardized criteria set:
- Your profile has a minimum of 10 audience reviews with an average review higher than 3 stars
- You have successfully referred 3 Speakers
- You have been booked for 3 events
- You have participated in the SpeaknSpark community through comments, response, or engagement
SpeaknSpark Speakers are selected on a case-by-case basis. SpeaknSpark speakers are game changers that are influencing the Emergency Management field. They are ambassadors, share, and demonstrate the mission to foster better learning.
What types of Speakers can I find on SpeaknSpark?
- SpeaknSpark focus on topics related to the Emergency Management field. The most common professions and experts are:
Homeland Security, FEMA, CDC, Military, Floodplain Managers, Geographer, Geologic Service, County Government (Emergency Managers, PIO), Hazardous Material Mgmt, Risk Assessment, Disaster Survivors, Emergency Preparedness for Hospitals, Universities, Utilities, Fire, Law Enforcement, Public Health, Nonprofit, ER Physicians, EMT, and Business as well as Disaster Survivors.
- You can search for experts by topic, budget, location, language, and audience reviews
SpeaknSpark will thoughtfully expand to other fields- our focus is on fields that are collaborative and communication heavy - where sharing knowledge is crucial.
To stay updated with SpeaknSpark expansion or suggest a topic/field that could benefit from a SpeaknSpark community- tell us here
How can I create an account?
How is SpeaknSpark different from a traditional speakers bureau?
SpeaknSpark is an improved modern version of a speakers bureau. It is an innovative and convenient centralized resource to browse, bridge, and book Speakers and Experts across Emergency Management disciplines. This marketplace offers more choice, more information, and more access for Event Leaders. This end-to-end marketplace allows Event Leaders to conveniently browse, securely book, and collect customized audience feedback. Modernizing the traditional Speakers Bureau, Speakers create their own profile offering instant visibility and potential to share their messages with a broader audience. Speakers decide their interest, schedule, and specific event fee after receiving extensive details included the event request process.
IMPORTANT: SpeaknSpark is structured to empower all Emergency Management Experts to share their knowledge and every event organizer to directly access Emergency Management expertise. SpeaknSpark charges no listing fees and no search fees. Speakers manage their schedule and fees without any exclusivity clauses or minimums. Structuring SpeaknSpark, we've purposefully removed all barriers encouraging all EM Experts to join and amplify the Emergency Management field.
How can I search and browse SpeaknSpark Speaker listings?
- Simple Search- Enter the location (city or zipcode) or keyword
- Advanced Search- Narrow your search by criteria such as location, focus, language, session type, and budget
How do I change my password or update my account information?
Update your account information or password- Sign In
and update both under the “My Account” user menu.
Forgot your password- Sign In
and select the “Forgot your password” link and follow the prompts. To update your Speaker Profile, Sign In
, find the top "My Account' menu, select "Speaker Profile", and click on the Setting button to the right of your profile name to choose edit.
What is the cancellation and refund policy?
I have a question- who can I contact at SpeaknSpark?
Do you have an app?
Not yet, however our website is responsive and is optimized to be used on mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops. When creating or completing your Speaker Profile, we do suggest using a laptop or desktop for ease.
Can I sign up as a Speaker or Audience Member and still book a Speaker?
You may wear many hats and with separate emails, you can sign up as each type of user. You must sign up as an Event Leader to book speakers. If you have already signed up as a Speaker or Audience member, sign up as an Event Leader with a different email and you will manage each account separately. Speakers and Event Leaders can also review speakers.
What is an Event Report? What is an Event Report vs Speaker Report?
The Event Report and Speaker Report are customized feedback and analysis for both the Event Leader and Speaker to make it easier to collect and interpret audience feedback. As an enhanced feedback tool that collects and combines audience feedback and audience demographics to create a visual report of audience reviews. The customized generated Event Report provides additional insight and potential areas for growth. The Event Report includes custom feedback about the event and each specific Speaker.
The Speaker Report is specifically designed for speakers. Similar to the Event Report’s analysis but the Speaker Report is narrowed to reviews related to the Speaker. This report analyzes reviews by demographics of age, gender, industry, experience, and education.
Both reports are an enhanced feedback tool designed to foster growth and success for Event Leaders and Speakers.
Speaker Profile Listings
Can I save my Speaker profile without submitting it?
Yes, your profile will automatically save until you are ready to submit it. Once you've submitted your profile you can edit and update it at your convenience
What is the difference between the Short Summary and the Highlights sections of the Speaker Profile?
The Highlights is basically a condensed version of your summary section.
Short Summary: a narrative of your total experience as a speaker. The short summary should give a condensed clear understanding of your expertise, experience, skills, and history relevant to your speaking. The short summary is a key component of your speaker profile for an Event Leader to get a good understanding of you as a Speaker.
Highlights: a quicker version of your short summary that is meant to show, well, highlights. The highlights section shows up on the search results page and is a core aspect of the first impression of viewers.
What should I choose for my cancellation policy?
Choose the cancellation policy that best suits your flexibility and the demand for your speaking skills. Event Leaders maybe influenced in their decision to book you based of your choice of cancellation policy and flexibility.
How important are high-quality photos?
A media rich speaker profile is key. We suggest quality photos, quality videos, and examples of decks from a previous presentations.
How do I make a stronger Speaker Profile?
View our Tips and Suggestions
to enhance your Speaker profile.
What if I do not have Paypal?
Speakers and Event Leaders are currently required to use Paypal. Learn more about what Paypal has to offer here
Event Organizer Questions
How much does SpeaknSpark charge for me to book a Speaker?
Creating an Event Leader account, searching Speakers, and browsing profiles is always free. SpeaknSpark is structured to empower all Emergency Management Experts to share their knowledge and give every Event Organizer direct access Emergency Management expertise. SpeaknSpark charges no
listing fees and no
When you request a Speaker, Trainer, Expert, or Consultant, they will reply with their speaker fee based off of the event details you provide. To fully utilize the payment platform and access the Event Report enhanced feedback tool, SpeaknSpark charges a flat 7% service fee at booking. This is significantly lower than the market standard 30-50% and that standard does not provide audience and event customized feedback analysis.
Our goal is to increase access, build connections, and encourage collaboration. Shaking up the traditional limitations for speaker selection, SpeaknSpark supports innovation, increased representation of diverse perspectives, and enhanced inclusion
What If I don’t have a budget to pay for a Speaker?
There are amazing Emergency Management resources and professionals that are outreach oriented. You can search the directory
for speakers who waives speaker fees. In the advanced search column there is a "willing to speak for free" box to check to narrow your search to Speakers who may waive their fees. When booking a Speaker without a Speaker fee, to access the Event Report collection and review tool, Event Leaders can select to pay a nominal flat fee. We support Emergency Management learning in all communities on all levels.
Are you a speaking agent?
SpeaknSpark is a tool for Speakers to become their own agent and for Event Leaders to have increased and direct access to all Speaker options. Different that a speaking agent, SpeaknSpark Speakers have the autonomy to create and update their own profile, set their own fees, and manage their own schedule and engagements.
Why is SpeaknSpark better than using my speakers bureau?
SpeaknSpark gives Speakers and Event Leaders more control and freedom than a traditional Speakers’ Bureau. For Event Leaders, SpeaknSpark provides direct access to a wider range and diversity of Speakers, the control to browse more speakers, and the excitement to expand across disciplines.
For Speakers, Trainers, Experts, and Consultants, SpeaknSpark is does not charge to create a profile, gives instant increased professional exposure, and a tool to get better audience feedback. SpeaknSpark does not charge the 25-50% commission that traditional Speakers’ Bureaus do. SpeaknSpark is community-based and centered around fostering better learning.
I’ve submitted a Booking Request but I need to edit some of the details- how can I make the edits?
You can edit event details and add more Speakers to your booking request up UNTIL
the first Speaker responds. After a Speaker has responded, you will need to make a new booking request with the updated event details.
How to edit
- Go to the “Booking Request” section of the "My Account" Menu
- Click on your event name
- Select the “edit” button on the right side
- Update details as necessary and click- submit.
The updated details will be re-sent to all the Speakers.
If you want to add Speakers, you need to add them to the previously selected Shortlist first before completing the process above.
Where can I access my Event Report?
To request an Event Report, sign in
to your Event Leader Account and select the “Booked Events” on the user menu.
Locate the event as listed chronologically and click the “Request Event Report Button.”
As an Event Leader you will need to be proactive about outreaching to your audience for audience reviews. Consult your confirmation emails for suggestions for encouraging audience reviews. Event Reports are only available post event and with sufficient reviews.
If I send a Booking Request to multiple speakers can I only choose one?
Can I send one Booking request for an event with multiple sessions and topics?
Speaker, Expert, Trainer, and Consultant Questions
What is the SpeaknSpark service fee?
- Creating an account, submitting a profile, receiving event requests, and replying are always free.
- SpeaknSpark follows the standard service fee model for bookings. Traditional Speaking Bureaus charge 30-50% of a speakers event rate. SpeaknSpark charges speakers 7%. The booking service fee is the only cost for utilizing all the features of the site. The service fee includes access to the payment platform and customized Event Report. The more often a Speaker is booked, the higher their profile ranks in search results.
- If you do not have a speaker fee, there is no cost other than an optional flat rate to access your event report. Keep empowering communities with knowledge!
What happens after I receive an Event Request?
- You will receive a Booking Request when an Event Leader selects you as a potential Speaker for an event. The event request includes detailed information about the event date, event location, presentation length, audience size, audience type, event goals, delivery type, event budget, visual aids, level of engagement, press, and any other Speaker expectations. The Speaker reviews all these important details and has full autonomy to decide interest and event specific fee. Speakers reply to the booking request by clicking the email link and/or signing in to their account. If not automatically directed to the Booking Requests page, locate the upper right "My Account' menu, select the "Booking Requests" page, find the listed event, and click the appropriate accept or decline reply button with the option to write a note. If the Speaker needs more information or a clarifying question, there is the option to message the Event Leader prior to replying to he request.
- The Event Leader receives all the selected Speaker responses and based off their criteria, they make a Speaker selection. Speakers who responded with an accept are notified of final Event Leader selection
How do I contact the Event Leader before, during, and after a booking?
- Speakers can message Event Leaders at their convenience. After a Speaker receives a Booking Request, they message the Event Leader questions or comments through the site's messaging system. After a Speaker is booked, the Speaker receives a confirmation email with the Event Leaders contact email and phone number. Speakers can contact Event Leaders as needed prior to the event.
How much should I charge for a speakers fee?
- Speakers list a speaker fee range on their Speaker Profile page as part of profile creation. When you receive an event request, it will include details such as presentation length, audience size, audience type, event goals, delivery type, budget, visual aids, engagement, press, and any other expectations. Taking those details and your time (prep, travel, event) into account, you will respond to each event request with your event specific fee. Keep in mind the Event Leader may be sending the event request to a list of speakers.
Speakers fees really vary so widely by person, experience, event, and motivations. This article is a good base: "How Much Should You Charge for a Speech?"
How can I list that my Speakers fee is flexible?
- Speaker set a minimum and maximum speaker fees as a range. The Speaker responds to each Booking Request with an event specific fee. If you are flexible and open to all kinda of opportunities, you can list that as part of your summary section.
I created an account, how do I create my Speaker profile?
You signed up as a Speaker here
. The next step is to confirm your account email (so many bots!). After clicking on the "activate your account" button you’ll sign in and will automatically be directed to your Speaker listing page. On the Speaker listing page you'll follow the flow and fill in the boxes and drop downs. Some questions have an icon you can click for more details. We created this demo for extra guidance: here
When you are ready, you submit your profile. Now your profile is public and the next step is to add media. You can add, edit and update your profile at your convenience.
How do I get paid?
Speakers will be paid through Paypal. Prior to the first booked event, Speakers need to add their Paypal account information to their account page. To do this, sign in
sign in and under the "My Account" top right menu hover on the "My Account' option and "Payment' will appear to the right. Link your Paypal account. Speakers will receive their Speaker fee 48 hour after the event directly into to their Paypal account.
Where is my data stored and how is it secured?
We follow industry best practices for all data storage and delivery. Your connection with this website is encrypted using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and AES-256 bit encryption. We do not store any financial information other than your Paypal ID.
What is the optimal image size to upload for Speaker Profiles?
Profile Picture Tip: for best results, the image should be 800 x 800 px. Allowed Extensions - jpg,jpeg,gif,png.
Can I share my profile?
Yes, we suggest you share your SpeaknSpark profile on all your networks. Go to your public profile, copy the unique url and share away. Share a post on your LinkedIn page about why you joined SpeaknSpark. Share your profile with your colleagues and invite them to join: example
. At the minimum, we suggest every speaker list their SpeaknSpark profile URL on LinkedIn.
My event booked me through SpeaknSpark, how do I access the reviews about me?
All Speaker reviews will show up on your Speaker profile. To access a report of a specific event's reviews, go to your User Menu “My Reviews,” find the specific event and click the "Request Speaker Report” button. The report will be emailed to you within 48 hours. The Speaker Report will show you all the reviews from a specific event analyzed further by audience demographics. You can only access the Speaker Report for an event if you were booked through SpeaknSpark and there are sufficient reviews for the event.This enhanced feedback tool is designed to provide additional insights for Speakers to adapt and grow. We specifically ask the audience for feedback that is professional and constructive. You can encourage your audience members to submit reviews by building in the request at the end of your presentation or as part of a post event email.